Era Presentations

After listening to presentations about what was going on from the decades of 1940-2010 some specific things stood out to me.  One fact from the 1950s decade was that in 1952 there were a record number of 57,000 cases of Polio.  Because of this record number of cases, OTs were doing a lot of splinting and working with the effects of Polio on these individuals.  This stood out to me because I once had a professor that used a wheelchair and sometimes crutches after having Polio when he was younger.  It was interesting to listen to him explain how it has affected his life from when he was little to know.  However, I did not know until this presentation that there was so many cases in 1952 and it's really cool that this is when OTs started really using personalized splinting to help these individuals. 

Another fact that stood out to me what how deinstitutionalization was starting to happen in 1980. When we had a guest speaker, Dr. Kiesling, he explained a little about this and I was interested in this then as well.  It is amazing how many people were put into institutions because then this lead to overcrowding.  But now these individuals were leaving, and it was a lot of people.  This lead to OTs helping with the transition of people from the institution to community life.

Lastly, I still think the invention of the World Wide Web in 1990 changed our world forever. Being born into a world were the internet was always around, I really cannot imagine my life without it. I have the entire world at my fingertips and am able to search anything and everything on the internet.  Having the first web browser changed jobs, education and leisure.  It wasn't long after this that social media started to boom in the early 2000s.  This changed our world even more. Now instead of being able to look up facts and search the web, we can see what anyone is doing at any moment. yeah

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NeuroNote #4: Alzheimer's Disease

NeuroNote #4: Myasthenia Gravis

Man from the South