Impostor Phenomenon

 

    I think that the closer we get to Level II fieldwork and the closer we get to becoming new OT practitioners, the impostor syndrome/impostor phenomenon ramps up. Imposter phenomenon is a topic we have covered several times throughout OT school, and now, I understand why. During the beginning of school, I didn't really feel like it was going to affect me but I see why we talked about it so much. You don't think you will get these feelings until you actually do. It is a scary feeling but it is also something that we know effects so many people. Impostor phenomenon is the overwhelming feeling of inadequacy or the feeling that others are going to start tp believe that you are not as intelligent or competent as they previously thought that you were. 

    In the podcast, "Impostor Phenomenon", Dr. Booker talked about having a balance of nervousness, or healthy anxiety, and confidence. Being right in the middle will decrease your chances of internalizing what you think of as "failures", and make you realize that you can grow from them. It interesting was reading the article "Facing Impostor Syndrome as a New Grad" because they explained that healthcare providers are common people to have feelings of impostor syndrome because they are surrounded by so many other high achieving individuals in not only their schooling but also in their professional fields. 

    After taking the Impostor Phenomenon Rating Scale Test, I found out that I scored in the moderate IP experience with a score of 56. This is very similar to the survey that was discussed on the podcast, "Imposter Phenomenon", where students in the UTHSC Occupational Therapy Program scored around a 55. I think this is accurate and this is where I expected my score to fall into. I believe that sometimes I get in my head and feel like I will be inadequate or not be able to do what everyone expects that I do. I am a people pleaser and want to succeed in all that I do, which is why I think I scored moderate in the rating scale. Knowing this is going to help me as a new grad and future Level II fieldwork student because now I am aware of the feelings that I am having. I know that I know what I need to know, I know that I can do this, and I know that I can succeed as an OT student and a new grad. Some recommendations for ways to get over impostor syndrome from Dr. Booker include getting rid of trying to be perfect, taking anxiety and turning it into an action plan, try to accept compliments and praises instead of shutting them down, and practicing positive self-talk. It is so important to use these tips to your advantage, especially when having feelings like impostor syndrome. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NeuroNote #4: Alzheimer's Disease

NeuroNote #4: Myasthenia Gravis

Man from the South