For this Neuro Note I decide to watch the YouTube video, “Sheryl and Myasthenia Gravis: How I Cope!”. I chose this topic because I have heard the name, but I did not know what exactly this diagnosis meant. According to the Myasthenia Gravis Foundation of America, Myasthenia Gravis is an autoimmune neuromuscular disorder that is characterized by fluctuating weakness of the voluntary muscle groups. Sheryl in her video explains that this affects the eyes, mouth, arms, legs, fingers and neck. This can get worse and eventually affect your swallowing or breathing. In Myasthenia Gravis, antibodies block the receptors for acetylcholine at the nerve muscle connection keeping the muscle from working properly. In the US, 20 in 100,000 have MG and is very under-diagnosed . Currently, there is no cure but there are effective treatments to manage a life with MG. Sheryl is a 17-year-old living with Myasthenia Gravis and she was diagnosed at 16. Her symptoms started with weakness in the legs, arm...
Comments
Post a Comment